Saturday, May 12, 2007

I invented a salad.

I invented a salad.: "

The inspiration came from my stomach: after making a BLT for dinner (an awesome BLT, inspired by Nancy Silverton's sandwich book, with avocado instead of tomato and tarragon in the mayonnaise) i was still hungry. I opened my fridge and saw fresh cut pineapple I'd bought earlier in the day. So I removed that, I removed the tarragon, I dug in and found a big leftover chunk of ricotta salata, half a Vidalia onion, and--most notably--the jar of June Taylor's Meyer Lemon & Rosemary Marmalade which I purchased at the San Francisco Ferry Building:



I sliced the pineapple uniformly, I diced the onion into a small dice, and shredded the tarragon. Then I tossed them all on a plate with some olive oil, salt and pepper, crumbled over the ricotta salata and--in a move inspired by David Chang's use of lychee gele in the glorious apple salad I had at Ssam bar--spooned the Meyer Lemon marmalade on top.

The result was surprising and exciting. The tartness of the lemon balanced the sweetness of the pineapple, offset by the cr"

No comments: